Soccer And Hockey Flourish At KUSA


By, Kevin Namunwa (

St. Paul’s university, hosted the Kenya university sports association (KUSA )games which characterized a couple of wins and losses from our Falcon sides.

The hockey men’s side were victorious for the first time in a long time as the Falcons ladies’ soccer team continued their great form with a win against United States International University (USIU).

Falcon’s hockey players couldn’t hide their happiness after managing their first win in two seasons against Gretsa university. Nicholas Situma finished off Ambrose Kilonzo’spass from the top of the circle early in the game to put Daystar ahead. Falcons lost a lot of chances through the game but still managed to win 1-0. Daystar Keeper, AyubMulambula, showed his athletism when he saved a Gretsa shot late in the second half to ensure his side get the three points. Hockey Coach Ian Orunga praised his side following the win.


“Better team work and fighting spirit experienced today; though we lost most chances, we never got tired of making attempts to score or preventing them from scoring. It’s a big improvement,” he said.

Things were not different on the soccer pitch. The ladies soccer team have been in great form lately and extended their form on Saturday as they beatUSIU 3-2. Forty five minutes was all the time Falcons needed to put the game in their favour as all goals were scored in the first half. Early in the game, JohntesAshiono fired a shot past the USIU goalkeeper to put her side ahead. The second goal was scored by Shannon Kiharawhile the last goal was an opponent’s own goal.


Falcon’s keeper Alice Wanjiru expressed her joy in the team’s performance, “I did my best to maintain a clean sheet but USIU have great players whose goals I couldn’t do anything about. But I am happy the team won and we got the three points, that’s what’s important.”

In other matches, the volleyball ladies’ team lost to hosts St. Paul’s University 3 sets to nil. The handballers lost to Mount Kenya University 31-16. Daystar city soccer team gave away a walk over as they failed to show up for the game on time due to transport difficulties.


About The Author

Related posts